[Gpdd] health - milk/sow's thistle

Suzy Dunser suzy at dunser.com
Sun Jul 8 09:31:11 EDT 2007

I'm not 100% sure that the variations of milk/sow's thistle we have
in New Zealand are exactly the same as what exists elsewhere, but I
have been feeding both prickly sow thistle (not actually prickly, at
least the stuff we have) and smooth sow thistle to my guinea pigs and
rabbits as staple greens, and they love them. As far as I know
(someone correct me please if I'm wrong!) they're not high in oxalic
acid or anything else that would indicate a need to limit the amount
they eat.

Here are links to a couple of pictures of what the plants I'm feeding
them look like, more or less, so you can see if they're the same thing:

http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wildfoodjj/sowthis.pdf
http://www.nmessences.com/images/prickly_sow_thistle1.jpg

Happy leaf munching from Suzy, Cocoa, and Rocky!