[Gpdd] HEALTH Sow thistle

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Jul 8 13:49:48 EDT 2007

Hi Suzy,

They are the same plants that grow here in England. The smooth sow thistle ( botanical name sonchus oleraceus ) is the preferred one amongst my piggies and is the one that I grow for them in my veggie garden. The young leaves are reportedly the tastiest. I stop using them when the stems become woody later in our growing season.

They are not included in the GuineaLynx oxalic acid list, which you have probably looked at already but I have always fed them to my guineas and have never had any problems.

The Piggyfriends have just munched a pile of them for their supper and are looking for more.

Penny.