[Gpdd] MISCELLANEOUS - Guinea Pig Abuse

grace ramp gracetheface at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 14:19:34 EDT 2007

I recently adopted 3 female guinea pigs from Have A Heart in New Jersey and when I went down to pick them up, the rescue had two pigs from the Lancaster cruelty case.  They were an absolute mess.  They both had huge open sores on their backs which were red and horrible looking.  The woman who runs the rescue said they are doing pretty well though and they were wheeking up a storm while I was there so I guess that is a good sign.  My pigs were from someone who just couldn't care for them so they were in good shape.  I have a mom, Gus (named for the fat mouse who made Cinderella's dress) and Squeeky and Rusty her babies.  They were only born on May 31 so they are still pretty scared of anybody.  I'm trying to bond with them without scaring them to death.  Mom is pretty mellow.  She lets me almost pet her and then she runs into the pigloo.  The babies scurry around like little mice.  They are so small.  Pork Chop, my older pig, is completely ignoring them.  She is such a diva.
  I'll give them a few weeks and then try to put them down together for some floor time.  I'll keep you posted on their progress.
  Grace, Pork Chop, Gus, Squeeky and Rusty