[Gpdd] HEALTH: syringe feedings

New Dominant II me at buddies.org
Wed Jul 11 16:43:52 EDT 2007

The main thing I didn't like in that video was the amount that was coming
out of the piggie's mouth.  It's not helpful if you syringe 3 ml into a
piggie's mouth when 1-2 ml comes right back out.  They're not eating it and
it just ends up making a very soggy towel.  I'd also worry about some of
what stays in the mouth getting forced down into the lungs.

Also, I do think it's vital that a piggie is very relaxed while eating or
taking meds ... especially if it's a long term condition.  The piggie that
really drove that home with me was Viola.  With her diagnosis of diabetes
(and recurrent UTIs), I knew I'd be giving her meds at least twice a day for
the rest of her life (turned out to be 4.5 years).  The first few days I
just sat her on a towel on a chair and gave it to her that day.  Since she
liked her meds, I decided just trying to put her on their scale and she was
fine with that (and I didn't have to get her towel ready and I could just
set her meds and cranberry juice on the table the scale was on).  I tried
giving her her meds in their enclosure ... but the other piggies wanted what
was in the syringe, so I had to take her out (the only "drawback" of
teaching piggies at a young age to take a syringe ... I also teach them to
eat from a spoon as well).