[Gpdd] MISC Guinness - thank you all

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Jul 15 08:01:45 EDT 2007

The Piggyfriends and I would like to thank everyone who posted, emailed and sent ecards with their sympathy for our darling Guinness. Your messages mean so much as you all understand how heartbreaking it is to lose a precious piggy.

Many thanks to those of you who sent stories of your own beloved piggies. Thank you to Judi for telling me about Petey and sending his photo. Such a sweetheart. Thanks also to Sarah for the lovely photo of Tribble. He looks like he could have been Guinness's brother. In fact I had his pigture up on the screen when my husband walked past and he thought that it was Guinness.

Debbie. You asked about the vet. For years I had a wonderful vet called Etienne Beckers. After having travelled many miles to see him with my piggies, he finally joined a vet practice in the next village to me. Having repeatedly extolled his virtues to Chris and Titch at Cavies' Castle, they were considering bringing their patients requiring surgery to him and I would have been able to collect the piggies and take them home again. A short while ago, my cockatiel, Merlin, was sick and I rushed him to see Etienne only to have my hopes dashed when the vet nurse told me that he had left the previous week. Where to, she did not know. He has always told me when he was changing surgeries. He cared more about treating animals than being paid, which did not sit too well with his various bosses but the clients all loved him and many of us followed him when he went to work for someone new. Luckily the vet for whom he had been working was able to save my Merlin but I was left dreading another one of my animal family needing surgery as I knew that I could trust Etienne implicitly with my piggies. So Guinness went to see the vet that Cavies' Castle use, who works in West Sussex. He has a good reputation with piggies and not only does what Titch tells him but appreciates the work done by Cavies' Castle. Titch is very good at getting people to do what he wants whilst making them think that it is their idea all along. Sadly, Guinness was unable to be saved and Etienne could have done no more but if anyone in England ever comes across him working at their vet's surgery, I would love to know where he has gone. He never enjoyed good health himself and I hope that, wherever he is now, he is OK.

Stefanie. I don't know if anyone has emailed you regarding putting your pigtures on the LAPS website but if you send them to the secretary, Hamlet, at eickmeha at mail.saturnfans.com he and his slave, Heather, will put them on for us all to see.

Carole. Etienne was always nagging me to write a piggy book, either about their care or a collection of stories. I told him that Peter Gurney got there before me. I love to write their stories for all of you to read but that is probably as far as it goes. Thank you for the compliment however! Much appreciated.

Thank you all once again. I have saved all the messages and, in the future, will be able to re-read them and remember the joy that Guinness brought to Piggyfriends instead of the heartache that his sudden departure has left behind.

Our best wishes to those of you with sick piggies.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.

Living vicariously through guinea pigs.