[Gpdd] Care - shampoos for piggies

Suzy Dunser suzy at dunser.com
Wed Jul 18 19:09:28 EDT 2007

Hi Penny and everybody,

I've been reading the posts about bathing piggies with interest. I
haven't bathed Rocky and Cocoa yet, and they seem to be fine, but we
definitely do not have a dry climate here, so it sounds like I will
have to at some point. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the same
brands in NZ as are available in the UK and the US, so could you tell
me what the chemicals are that are in the anti fungal / anti
parasitic shampoo? I think I read Peter Gurney once recommending
something that here in NZ is used for head lice (a recurring problem
in primary schools here). Tea tree oil is also used here to repel/get
rid of lice, and it's not supposed to be so toxic as permethrine,
malathion etc. Do you know if it's okay to use tea tree oil shampoos
on guinea pigs?

Thanks very much,
Suzy, Rocky, and Cocoa (who, I suspect, will be anything but relaxed
the first time I try this on them!!)