[Gpdd] [CARE] baths and Tummy trouble for Nichole and Aquinnah

warmbreath imwarmbreath at netscape.com
Fri Jul 20 10:55:41 EDT 2007

I hope you have been to the vet by done as tummy trouble is serious indeed.
Withhold all veggies and treats, these often produce gas.  Let  her eat
pellets and hay, plenty of hay.
Buy Infant Simethicone drops or Gas X and dissolve and syringe and don't
worry about the exact dose, you cant
really overdose this med in piggies.  Also realize she is in pain and it has
to be treated, this can make a big difference in whether she will have the
will to fight the illness, get the vet to prescribe or look it up in our
archives, or look it up in "Diseases of Domestic Guinea Pigs "(I gave my
copy
away when I had to give up my pigs when I lost my house a couple years )ago.

Also make a warm place for her to crawl into, carry her around in a piggy
burrito, use a warmed tile heated gently in the oven  in the oven .and
wrapped in a towel placed in a corner of her cage.. Make sure she can get
away if she gets too warm
Also if she is feeling well enough encourage her to
exercise, run around, and give her the frequent tummy rubs already described

Ask the vet about Metcam, a drug that calms gassy  stomach, or if she needs
different med. esp. the pain med.  The exercise is very important as it will
get things moving again
If she wont drink water syringe water  and if she wont eat pellets soak them
in lots of water and syringe those or Critical Care. Add a little canned
pumpkin if she will eat it better. Eat food in front of her, guinea pigs
love to share mealtime with their slaves and can often be encouraged to eat
more that way. Do this as many times a day as you can, piggies need to be
constantly eating to keep their GI system working, and once you think she is
out of the woods keep up the special treatments for 2 weeks after she seems
better as it is very easy for them to back slide. Weigh her twice a day and
report changes the vet
Good Luck, I hope I'm not too late, be sure to check our archives, I am far
from an expert
Sandy formerly of the Penny Giggles

If she's not better by now the vet is imperative to find a vet who
specializes in treating stasis or bloat in exotic animals like piggies
Rabbits and Ferrets.