[Gpdd] [MISC.] A Big "Thank you" From Sweetheart's Family

sherry bevins ssbjune9 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 20 13:14:50 EDT 2007

Dear friends,

We just wanted to say thank you for the all the kind messages of sympathy
that we have received after the loss of our beautiful and beloved
Sweetheart. She was a very dear and much loved member of our family, and her
loss is deeply felt...especially by me. I am putting together a photo
tribute, which I hope to have online soon. It will be at Picturetrail.com,
as I still am having trouble uploading photos to our Blinkz site. Like
Jaime, all I get are strange error messages every time I try to upload a
"pigture".
About the emergency vet clinic policy...I had a few words with them when our
Big Cinnamon had the urethral blockage and needed immediate treatment,
which, after scraping and borrowing from everyone that I thought could spare
a few dollars so that I could pay them up front, was a failure anyway...he
died later that night from an adverse reaction to the anesthesia that he was
given before he was cathaterized by a vet who admitted to me that she had
never done the procedure on a guinea pig before. When I spoke to them over
the phone before taking Cinnamon there for treatment, and asked if I could
post date a check or make payments, since this was an emergency situation
and I didn't have enough cash to pay up front ( we don't have any credit
cards ), I was told that payment in full was expected when services were
rendered...no exceptions. That this might mean that my piggie would have to
die for lack of treatment didn't seem to make any difference. Unless I could
pay up front, they would not treat my piggie. When I mentioned this to our
regular vet, he said that the clinic was run as a business...that they
couldn't buy supplies or pay employees on credit, and thus their rigid
policy. He also told me that if anyone came to him expecting credit, that
they would have to go elsewhere, because when he had in the past allowed
people to make payments, or pay later, he had often not been paid at all and
would not be able to stay in business if he allowed it to continue. Thus,
his rigid policy. I think that I will look into the carecard, as Elizabeth
suggested, or maybe a credit card to be used only for emegency situations.
Or maybe pet health insurance? In Sweetheart's case, I'm not sure that even
the vet could have helped. She went very quickly after I fed her and we had
spent our last moments together. She was very alert, but weak, until the
end, and I am afraid that her heart wouldn't have been able to stand the
strain of a vet visit, which was always very stressful for her.
I will post a message when I get all of the "pigtures" together, and am able
to write a fitting tribute.  She was the most extraordinary piggie that I
have ever known, and I miss her so much. :o(

May God bless our friends @ GPDD,
Sherry and the Piggie Pals