[Gpdd] [BRIDGE] Condolences for Sweetheart

Kay Dudman kdud at waitrose.com
Sun Jul 22 12:51:42 EDT 2007

Dear Sherry

I am so very sorry to hear that you have lost dear little Sweetheart, and
very sad that the emergency vet demanded money before even treating her.  At
least Sweetheart didn't have the trauma of a last visit to an unknown vet,
and was in the comfort of her own home, knowing that she was loved.  It may
be that Sweetheart's time had come to depart, and the vet wouldn't have been
able to do anything for her.  Sweetheart knew she was safe and loved at
home, and in time you will be able to remember the joy you had together with
fewer tears.

Personally, I think it was disgraceful behaviour on the part of the
emergency vet; surely they could have accepted a deposit?  How do they
expect to pay the staff if *no-one* comes for treatment?  They could at
least have helped to find someone else who would have seen Sweetheart. Words
can more than adequately express my feelings about their uncaring attitude,
but I think the Digest moderators would ask me to tone it down a bit (OK, a
lot).  If the emergeny vet's world centres around money, rather than
compassion, you probably wouldn't want to consult them anyway.

The following is the veterinarians' creed, from the Kansas State University
website.  You might like to print it out, give it to the emergency vet, and
ask where they think they could be falling short of the principles enshrined
in the creed.  Maybe it is specific to KSU, but it seems a very worthwhile view.

With sympathy,

Kay

    The Veterinarian's Creed

       * To regard my profession as something more than a means of
         livelihood;

       * To value character more highly than reputation and truth above
         popularity;

       * To be merciful and humane, preventing needless suffering among
         dumb beasts;

       * To be faithful and zealous, preventing needless loss to those
         I am called on to serve;

       * To guide my conduct by sober judgment and my judgment by a
         never sleeping conscience;

       * To be modest and open-minded and thankful for every
         opportunity to increase my knowledge and my usefulness;

       * To be a coworker with my fellow practitioners by the mutual
         interchange of counsel and assistance;

       * To be true to myself, measuring my success by the value of the
         service I render rather than by the fee I receive.

    R. R. Dykstra, Dean
    College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University
    1918 - 1948