[Gpdd] Misc: response about allergies

Ruth Leibowitz dr.leibq at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 13:45:34 EDT 2007

Allergies can be very strange.  I had pet rats a long time ago and was not
allergic to them at all, while at the same time I was extremely allergic to
hamsters (my skin immediately breaks out and I begin to wheeze).  When I
first got my guinea pigs, I was not allergic to them -- but now I have
developed an allergy, although it is nowhere as bad as is my allergy to
hamsters.  This is sad for me, because I handle them less than I would like,
and after my two present guinea pigs go over the bridge I will not be able
to adopt any more). So the allergy situation is not predictable.  I think
the best thing is for your friend to handle a number of guinea pigs before
adopting or buying any.  She should be sure to hold them against her bare
skin, and stick them close to her face, and see if she has any reaction
afterwards.  I think this is the only way to tell.

Ruth, allergic in Portland