[Gpdd] (Misc) Re: do guinea pigs eat their young?

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 15:18:22 EDT 2007

Jaime,
  No--mother guinea pigs do not normally eat their young (they are, after all, strict herbivores), unless as you said they are unduly stressed--or sometimes if the baby is malformed and she knows it won't live. She usually will just ignore the sickly baby and tend to the others. Mother guineas do eat the placenta, as it helps with milk letdown. Hamsters, and to an extent rats and mice (all omnivores), are much more likely to eat their young for what would seem to be no apparent reason. I know this because we just covered "pocket pets" in Vet Tech school this summer; I would tend to believe my instructors over this coroner guy. I suppose if the  guineas were starving and had absolutely no other source of food, then they might eat their babies. I suspect this guy's animals were starving...

  Just my 2 cents,
  Stacy and the Squee Squad