[Gpdd] Misc: allergies and guinea pig breeds

Carla Martinez cmartinez36 at houston.rr.com
Tue Jul 24 23:00:25 EDT 2007

Re allergies to guinea pigs: Thank you Lisa for the link to The Jack
Pine Guinea Pig Rescue allergy article. It was detailed and filled with
helpful suggestions.

Concerning short-haired vs. long-haired: I had the same experience as
Karen, became allergic to short-haired male guinea pig, but not
long-haired Silkie male pigs. Snowball is an American short-haired, and
I get skin irritations from his fur or feet. Now I put on a long sleeved
shirt if I'm going to be handling him at any length. And a dermatologist
prescribed medicine for eczema that I put on after contact, and it works
well.

My long-haired male Snickers (a Silkie) did not give me the allergic
reaction. With my long-haired male Apache, I do have a reaction but not
as strong as with the shorthaired male Snowball. It is curious. But I
think that concurs with Karen's experience and answers the question she
raised about the difference - it must not be gender but breed.

Carla (achoo)  Snowball and Apache