[Gpdd] [CARE] <opinions on 2nd levels>

Liz Kennedy liz_kennedy at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 25 19:35:50 EDT 2007

Hi There-
I don't want to flood the GPDD with answers to this question, so if you'd
rather just email your opinion to me offline, that would be totally fine.
I'm moving in 3 weeks to a 2 bedroom apartment where bedroom #2 is going to
be my very own pet room!!  I am very excited!!  It's right off of the living
room, and has a double door entrance, so it's basically going to be like an
extension to my living room.  Talk about the perfect setup for a pet room!
This way I can have my living room back (so people can crash on my couch if
they'd like without having to listen to the zoo anymore... my rats and my
mouse and even the pigs are REALLY loud at night), yet I'll still always be
hanging out with them since they won't really be in their own secluded area!
So here's the thing:
The rats live in a giant ferret mansion, so I have no need to increase their
living space.  But since I have all this extra room, I want to do something,
so I'm going to build the pigs a mansion!  Here are my concerns:
1.  Some people say building up is a waste of material and time, because
most pigs won't enjoy the upper level, and it actually cuts down on the
total space because of the amount of area the ramp takes up on the 1st
level.
2.  Even after reading guineapigcages.com very well, I still can't wrap my
mind around how to build a good ramp.
3.  Should I just build out?  I have my 4 girls in a 2x6 now, should I just
give them a neat 2x9?  Should I build width wise and give them a 3x8?  3x9?
I know a lot of these answers really depend on my personal opinion, but I
figured some of you have gone through this before so might have a list of
"dos and don'ts" that could save me some time/energy/frustration.
I'd appreciate any advise or wisdom that all of you experienced C&C
architects out there have, so thanks in advance for any suggestions!!
Liz slave to Baisil, Dot, Myrtle and Phoebe (former slave to the rescued and
adopted Wilson and Winifred!  They have their own great home where they are
getting spoiled to pieces!  A happy ending for them after having such a
crappy previous owner!  Yay for successful rescues and adoptions!)