[Gpdd] MISC: Piggy Ignorance and bereavement

milton.the_bold at virgin.net milton.the_bold at virgin.net
Wed Jul 25 16:33:05 EDT 2007

Hello,

Just like to add my voice of support to those who are understandably angry about people (especially relatives) who make thoughtless remarks when a pet dies.  Usually, I find the person concerned does not have any pets, and never has done.  My advice would be not to bother seeking comfort from such people.

I get on pretty well with my parents but my stepmother has never had pets and my father hasn't since they married, which is their choice, but because of this I wouldn't expect them to understand anything about "pet issues", it's rather like going to see an unmarried marriage guidance counsellor.  They have different priorities in life and I wouldn't expect them to understand or act appropriately.  Actually, if one of my pets died I would avoid seeing them at all until I felt better, and concentrate on people would help me through it (eg ones with similar pets, or ones who in the past have been sympathetic).

When it comes down to it though, people who don't understand just don't know what they're missing.  Ultimately they're the ones who are losing out.  We all get a lot of richness in our lives from our pets, they teach our children about responsibility, care and about death, too.  I would never want to be without this, and neither would any of us.

Milton and the Lads