[Gpdd] MISC- stupid non-piggie people!

Maren Fouts magbfouts at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 09:16:56 EDT 2007

Nicole,

I have to say I agree with the asserting yourself issue.  I'm not a
confrontational person, but when it comes to my home, the way I live my
life, and my pets, I would certainly just tell someone if they don't like my
piggies to get out of my home and never come back.  It's their choice.  Put
up or shut up.

That said, I keep thinking about my mother-in-law.  She's always amazed me.
When I first brought Sam home (my first piggie) my husband and I started
having allergy symptoms.  Since my husband is allergic to cats (they had one
when he was a child and had to get rid of it) so my mother-in-law firmly
believed it was Sam's fault.  I really believe she disapproved of my getting
a pet, but bless her she didn't say anything to me.  I held fimly to the
belief that it was seasonal, pollen or something, not piggy related.  I was
right!

Anyway, she's not a piggy person (she doesn't hate them, but I'm guessing
she doesn't see their appeal either) and I'm not so sure that she holds the
belief that I, and most of us do, that our pets are our childern and deserve
the same consideration as human childern.  But she knows I do.

Recently, Rosie had a skin infection and had to go on antibiotics for 2
weeks as well as an ointment for the affected area.  My husband suggested
that when I send out my email to family I include my mother-in-law.  Well I
did and she sent Roise and ecard wishing her a speedy recovery and signing
it "Love, Grandma and Grandpa"!  It cracked me up!

I'm very fortunate to be surrounded by people that, if they don't share my
beliefs, at least respect them.  I wish it could be that way for everyone.
Seriously, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at
all, especially in someone else's home!

So, Nicole, I really think you should put your foot down with these people.
And if that doesn't work, I've learned that some lessons can't be learned
unless you turn it around on them.  It's cruel and I'm not so sure I'd stoop
to their level, but if they feel the way about their cat that you do about
your pigs, you'd think they'd learn to just not voice their opinions.

Finally, I wanted to say I was so very sorry to hear of your sweet piggy's
passing.  Despite what others blelieve, these animals deserve love and
respect just like any human being and you showed Aquinnah just that.  I have
no doubt that she was a wonderful little girl who loved you very much.

Piggy Kisses to you.  I hope you can find some useful way of remedying the
situation.
Maren, Rosie, and Charlie