[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE: Millie

Goodwoodfairy13 at aol.com Goodwoodfairy13 at aol.com
Fri Jul 27 12:24:54 EDT 2007

Thank you to those of you who offered your condolences for Millie. When I
took her to the vets to be cremated I had a long chat with one of the nurses
there who has a lot of experience and many piggies of her own. She told me  that
she has only once seen a similar case of "chewing" where she found one of
her own piggies had died and her cage mates had chewed off her toes. She feels
(and I think I agree) that when a close group unexpectedly loose a cage mate
and  the piggy in question is not removed quickly (due to the unexpected nature
of  the death and regular cage checks not being until a little while later)
the  surviving piggies may try to rouse the deceased piggy and, in their
distress,  inadvertently cause physical damage. When I did find and remove Millie
her cage  mates immediately checked out the area she had been in and were
visibly happier,  so I'm quite sure that her lying there had been quite distressing
for them,  which would support the nurse's theory.

My condolences go out to all of you who have lost your beloved babies  too.

Lindsey slave to Caleb, Pixie, Sammy, Summer, Rusty, Isis, Tilly, Djinn  &
Stumpy xxx (Pippa, Sophie, Millie, Kimi, Pitch & Mitch gone but never
forgotten!)