[Gpdd] HEALTH: Archie & teeth - chin sling?

Julie Johnson juwles at bigpond.com
Sat Jul 28 06:17:37 EDT 2007

Hi all

Thank you to everyone who has emailed me with suggestions re Archie's teeth problems and letting me know we are both in people's thoughts.  It's a great help to know others are praying for us.

It was 2 weeks yesterday since Archie had his teeth ground down surgically.   I took him back to my normal city vet who couldn't believe how much his teeth had grown!     She got a little bit cut off the back molar that continually gives the trouble, but she thinks he will probably need another general anaesthetic to get things right again.     I nearly broke down in tears.     (My expert dental vet (!) said it would be 3 months before his molars needed cutting again - and my normal vet said yes, if he's eating that would probably be the case!!!!).

Then she said it's no use just cutting the teeth, if the underlying problem is still there.   So she has started to think outside the square and has put Archie on fluoride tablets to try to strengthen what I was told were crumbly teeth (daily for 1 week then twice a week); and also a dental mousse for sensitive teeth which I use on his teeth & gums in case there is nerve pain.  Apparently it can take a few days for the numbing effect of the mousse to kick in.

The vet also suggested more sunshine for Archie, in case he's lacking in Vitamin D3.       She didn't want to give Vit D3 orally as she said it is very dangerous and toxic.       She also said the fact that Archie is constantly grinding his teeth sounds like more of a pain issue than actually grinding teeth down.

I decided to cut some of the top incisors off myself because they were way too long.   I purchased a pair of dental bone rongeurs especially for the job.    Whilst my Mum was holding Archie and I was about to cut the top incisors, I noticed he was not moving his jaw evenly.   He was grinding the teeth but the jaw was only moving 1/2 the distance across his mouth.       Doesn't that mean Archie could have a misaligned jaw?

I want to purchase a chin sling to try on Archie to see if it is of any help, but I've searched the internet piggy sites and can't find anywhere to purchase one.

Would any GPDD'er know where I might purchase a chin sling for a very skinny 678gram piggy?          I'm quite desperate to try this method - any help/advice gratefully accepted.

Many thanks in advance,
Julie & Archie
Muppet & Teddy already in paradise   :-)