[Gpdd] CARE Boar trios

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Jul 28 08:00:55 EDT 2007

Hello Heather,

Keeping a trio of boars is never going to be easy. I keep mine in pairs and would only attempt a trio if I had three boys from a single litter, being prepared to remove one if necessary.

My rodentologists, who have many boars of their own, believe that, with a trio, one would end up being bullied, which seems to be happening with your little Peanut.

It has nothing to do with Peanut's age or your older boars inability to recognise his sex. It's a male domination thing. Boys!!

All of my girls happily go out into their exercise run together and just get on with the important work of eating but I would never try this with my boys, who have their own exercise areas.

What I would do, personally, is adopt another baby boar to introduce to Peanut, whilst he is still young enough to deal with it and keep them as two separate pairs. This may not be possible for you.

Have a look at the Barmy4boars website, which has a new section on trios. Here's the link
http://www.susieandpigs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/trios.htm

They do not advocate trying to keep 3 boars together but know that some people have been successful. You may have seen the recent post from Jocelyn, who is introducing a new boar to an established pair. She may have some more advice for you.

Best of luck with your three,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.