[Gpdd] [health] Hyperthyroidism in Guinea Pigs

Maren Fouts magbfouts at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 19:11:10 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Lately Rosie has been losing weight.  She was on Sulfatrim for a skin
infection, which can cause poor appetite.  I was weighing her everyday and
noticed she was losing weight.  I was feeding her Critical Care (I made it
thicker so she would eat it) so she wouldn't lose too much.  I talked with
her doctor and he gave me a time that I should call him, when/if she went
below 920 grams.  Additionally, he suggested I stop the Sulfatrim early.

Well, while my husband and I were out of town, she seriously lost weight.
That same night even.  Since we have such a wonderful woman who takes care
of our kids when we are gone (Thanks Laura and the Fluffernutters!) she saw
this right away and got her into her doctor the very next day.  Dr. Schwartz
took blood, an x-ray, and a urinalysis.  He said the x-ray looked fine, her
teeth looked fine (confirmed by a full belly in the x-ray) and the
urinalysis has not come back yet.  He is supposed to be calling us about her
because her blood results showed possible thyroid trouble.

My question is, has anyone ever had this problem with a pig before?  Her
doctor says there's no definitive test for hyperthyroidism in guinea pigs
(stupid given all the testing of human products on animals).  He noticed her
thyroid gland to be enlarged as well.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  I should hear from her doctor
tomorrow and would love to have your suggestions at the ready when I do.

Thanks so much!
Piggy Kisses,
Maren, Rosie, and Charlie