[Gpdd] [CARE] Peanut and Other Boars

Anderson, Jocelyn M jocelynm at umich.edu
Sun Jul 29 19:14:50 EDT 2007

Hi Heather,

  I recently introducted a new boar piggy to my other boars and they are getting along, but like Joanne menitioned, it's probably due to their personalities. Little John is a big loafy piggy, and Fireball is in his own little world (unless it's food time!)  What I did is split the cage in two, giving the bigger piggies 2/3rds. This way the two older piggies would smell the newer piggy and give the new piggy some time to adjust to the new enviroment. I put hay along the edge of barrier, which lead to Little John and Flashbang touching snoots. Fireball shook his rump a little bit, but other than that, it was going well. When I lifted up the barrier, it was a grand piggie melee! Flashbang kept poking the other piggies in the rump and chasing them around, but they all calmed down after an hour or so. It was hard to watch because I just wanted the pig pigs to get along.  Now Fireball and Flashbang are good piggy buddies:  http://www.nflight.com/files/flashbangandfireballinigloo.jpg .

One of the good signs is that the other piggies aren't trying to hurt Peanut. From what I've read, that's a big conflict that means the piggies may never get along. They might need a bonding experience, like a bath.

Hope it all works out for your piggies!

Jocelyn, Little John, Fireball the Fat, and Flashbang Fatbottom