[Gpdd] Health: Sick piggie

Jamie Hill mshill0207 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 09:10:42 EDT 2007

Hi All:

  I don't post much, but I read the digest daily. This past Saturday morning, I found one
  of my males laying on his back. He looked like he was dead. However, he twitched
  when I screamed. I immediately knew it was gas/bloat related.

  Background - He's 5 - 6 years old and has alot of gastric issues. He often gets impacted
  and I have to clean him out every 1 - 2 weeks. I give him infant Gas X on a fairly regular
  basis.  He is also one of my sweetest little guys. He is very trusting of me and will let me
  practically do anything to him without putting up a fight.

  I immediately gave him a dose of Gas X, waited for about 1/2 hour and started him on
  critical care. I continued this process throughout the day and his bloat dimenished and he
  began making poops. He started nibbling on hay, but would not get up or drink water.

  Yesterday, I continued the critical care, but only gave him a two doses of Gas X. He
  continued to poop and continued to nibble on hay and even ate some of his CC pellets.
  I also gave him a few bits of romaine lettuce (his favorite). He still wasn't moving around
  though. When I tried to get him to walk, he couldn't/wouldn't move his back two legs and
  kinda dragged them behind him. His front paws seem to work ok. I thought he may have
  an electrolyte imbalance and gave him some unflavored pedialyte.

  This morning, he seemed much brighter and was more fiesty than yesterday. After his
  crit care session, he began eating hay. I also noticed that he did a pretty good job on the pellets I placed by him.

  My question - has anyone had the issue of hind leg paralysis? I'm worried that the gas
  issue is secondary to some other problem. My vet isn't sure, but said I was doing a great
  job taking care of his symptoms and feedings.

  Thanks in advance,

  Jamie and piggies
  Maya, Annie, Cookie, Gracie, Conan, Harry, and Lloyd