[Gpdd] HEALTH Sick piggy. Paralysis.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Jul 30 16:53:21 EDT 2007

A few years ago, one of my girls, Miss Piggy, developed paralysis in her hind legs. This came on overnight and she was otherwise healthy.

Having read in my Peter Gurney book that calcium would help, I took her to the vets. She was given calcium gluconate liquid, which she took orally, 0.5ml. per day for a week. After the first dose she started to walk normally again.

In his book, Peter recommended 300mg. calcium lactate tablets, twice a day on the first day and once daily until the piggy is up and about again.

On his website, there are two sections on paralysis, one under "P" on his A-Z of Guinea Pigs  on http://www.petergurney.com/ and the other in his GP health guide as follows http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/paral.htm

In this he mentions the use of liquid Osteocare, which is now available in England but some form of liquid calcium is what is needed if this is the form of paralysis that comes on suddenly.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.