[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Trouble with feeding

Kay Dudman kdud at waitrose.com
Mon Jul 30 18:53:11 EDT 2007

Dear Jaime

I have been having trouble getting Elliott to eat as he has problems with
his teeth; I hope some of the following suggestions will help Molly.
Elliott had his teeth burred at the Vet today; he had a couple of spikes on
his molars, and he has been fed by syringe to keep up his strength as it has
been uncomfortable for him to eat normally.

* You don't have to grind the pellets; if you let them soak in some warm
(not boiling) water, they will soften (and absorb a lot of the water, so you
might need to add some more).  I can get Elliott to take this either from a
syringe or from a spoon.

* Guinea Pig Goodness from Pascoe's is an all-in-one feed that also contains
Profeed, a pre-biotic.  I find Elliott will take this when he refuses
critical care.  It can be mixed with water, with the juice or left as
pellets, but I'm not sure if it is available outside the UK.

* A full guinea pig breakfast (chicory, greens, carrot, parsley, grapes,
baby sweet corn, watermelon, grass, etc.) can be put through a juicer and
the juice offered in a syringe.  Elliott goes mad for this and will take up
to 30ml in a single sitting!  Although it is liquid, there is still some
fibre from the food to help with digestion.

* Mix any left over critical care, juice or whatever that was freshly made
in the day with some bran and leave for an overnight snack.

* Offer bran and water mash; easy to eat, provides fibre to help keep
digestive activity going.

* Cut salad into small strips that can easily be wound in to a little piggy
mouth; I find Elliott will eat parsley stalks even if he can't manage the
leaves.

Hope this helps.  Wishing Molly well soon, and all other poorly piggies.

Kay