[Gpdd] HEALTH: New Piggie

Megan Gladney byrne51250 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 30 23:39:54 EDT 2007

Hi, everyone. While we are still grieving the loss of our beloved little
fireman, Phylo, we have decided to adopt a new piggie. The folks I got this
new piggie from could not tell me whether this little one was a sow or a
boar pup, so I did a little looking myself and it looks like this piggie is
a female abyssinian mix, roughly 4-6 weeks old. (At first I thought we may
have gotten a male, but when I got her home, try as I might, I couldn't get
a little "winky" to protrude, and she has a bit of a classic "Y" shape down
there. We'll get confirmation from the vet when we get an appointment.) We
have not yet chosen a name, as our new piggie has not yet revealed her
personality to us. I have a question, though - I discovered a little bald
patch on the inside of her right knee, relatively close to where her nipple
is. She does not appear to have an obvious case of mites or lice, as she
does not scratch and I could not find any lice on her when I examined her. I
was wondering - could this be ring worm?? The patch isn't really scaly per
se - it is bald and slightly dry, but no classic red ring or weeping
associated with this fungal infection. The other piggies in the lot seemed
fine, though I couldn't determine whether they were from the same litter or
not.

Also - I am aware that the bug causing Oscar the Dancing Skinny Piggie's
pneumonia is extremely contagious, but their cages are across the room from
each other (5 feet + ), they will have separate play areas (neither has been
fixed, so I don't want any additional risk of new pups), and they each have
their own toys, blankets and cavy cozies. As well, their cages are always
cleaned on separate occasions with mild soap and water.  Is this - along
with standard infection control with washing hands between piggies etc -
sufficient to keep two piggies in the same home, even though Oscar may
remain a carrier for this bug the rest of his life? I'm feeling guilty now,
as our vet had said to be "extremely cautious when introducing a new guinea
pig". But this little darling stole my heart and I am extremely dedicated to
infection control when it comes to a two piggie-household. I couldn't bear
to think what would have happened to her if I had left her with the folks I
got her from. (They don't screen potential owners and they have next to none
of the necessary cavy knowledge.)

Sorry for the long message, but any information anyone can give me would be
great. Thanks!!

Megan, Oscar the Dancing Skinny Piggie and New Piggie, who has yet to be
named (and Phylo, gone, but never forgotten).