[Gpdd] Misc: Ice packs

Martha Coburn marthac at cogeco.ca
Sat Jun 2 16:53:12 EDT 2007

Greetings Fellow Piggie People

As the days are getting warmer and sometime darn hot I've taken to putting
ice packs wrapped in pillow cases in with the piggies. They seem to
appreciate this and both lie on top of and beside the packs (Holly likes to
plant her back end only right on top, don't ask me why). It may be handy to
note that the packs that I have found to be perfect piggie body size are
free! It all started with some fish last summer. At the local grocery store
I was picking up fish at the seafood counter for dinner. It was really hot
and the clerk put an ice pack in with the fish to keep it cool. These are
the packs that come with their order to keep it cool in transit and are
usually thrown out. They're a gel inside and durable outside. I've never had
one break. After they thaw I just give them a quick wash and throw them back
into the freezer. I go back occasionally and add a few more to my stock.
Just make sure that they are wrapped in a few layers (pillow cases work
great - just put it in and fold it over) as a bare ice pack would be too
cold on their skin and it removes the temptation for nibbling on the
packaging. I look at is helping the environment too and keeping the packs
out of the landfill.

Hope all piggies and their peoples stay cool this summer.

All the best,

Martha, Poppy, Holly & Miss Otis