[Gpdd] [Health] Age for having babies

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 13:13:09 EDT 2007

OK, was the question referring to 'when is the oldest
  they should be to get pregnant the first time', or 'when
  to they get too old to get pregnant'? I understood it to
  be the latter, but I don't know the answer. I do know
  that they can become sterile from being overweight,
  we've had that happen here. (either that, or Snowy
  somehow acquired some birth control pills!)
  As for the other, it seems to be a matter of some
  controversy, whether the pubic bones actually fuse.
  I've had several folks who have had and raised cavies
  for years tell me that isn't the case, that they've had
  sows who had healthy babies after the "critical" one
  year of age. Still, my opinion is that it's not worth the
  risk.  Since we show them, we do occasionally breed
  them, and always watch that age closely.  Our finest
  girl, Rosie, who earned Grand Champion, would no
  doubt have had some outstanding babies, but she
  was well over a year old by the time people started
  asking me about it, so we decided against it.
  Hopefully someone else will know the answer to the
  other question - or do they ever get 'too old' to get
  pregnant?  Maybe it depends on the sow...
  Susi & the Okie Piggies
  (I'll ask Buzzerre, she has such wisdom!)