[Gpdd] MISC Truffle

New Dominant II me at buddies.org
Mon Jun 11 23:43:22 EDT 2007

I'm so sorry that your Truffle passed away.  Like most here, I know what
it's like to lose these wonderful friends, and also how it feels when
well-meaning people say things that hurt us.  The worst thing I heard (that
is, after I figured out what she meant) was when my Viola was diagnosed with
diabetes and was told she probably wouldn't live another year.  To try to
console me, a coworker of mine told me I should just get another one.
Thinking she meant I should get her a friend to keep her company in her last
days, I told her I had several others so she wasn't lonely.  When she
clarified her statement, I was shocked and hurt (though I didn't say
anything).  There was no way anyone else could replace my little Viola and
I'd never get rid of her.  Although she needed more attention than most
piggies and we couldn't go on long trips as she needed medicine every 12
hours, I treasured her for the rest of her life (which wasn't 1 more year,
but 4.5 more years).

There have been times, especially during a difficult illness, when I
sometimes wish they'd pass away peacefully in their sleep.  But that's
always short-lived and I feel guilty thinking such a thing.

I had a Truffles years ago.  I got her in 1996.  She was Viola's best buddy
ever since I got her two years later, and she became Viola's eyes when Viola
developed cataracts in 2000.  Viola died about six weeks after Truffles in
the summer of 2003.  I think it was because her best friend was gone and she
didn't know how to live without her eyes.