[Gpdd] [Care] Itchy Pigs

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 16:30:47 EDT 2007

Poor Charlie!  We know he must be miserable.  I agree,
  you need to rule out other causes (or,maybe just treat
  for them, too?)  We use the oral form (gel) of the ivermectin,
  what we have is green apple flavored, and they are always
  sure to lick off any that doesn't get into their mouth. (but
  we do 'chase it' with a bite or two of something yummy)
  (before using anything like this, read the information on
  your particular application)
  Of course, in addition to treating the suspected cause,
  you have to also treat symptoms. Gorgeous Guineas
  has some great skin treatments, but I would think we
  could usually find something similar here simply by reading
  the description, ingredients, etc ( we can't always wait for a
  shipment to arrive).
  Another thing - I was wondering about the oil. I have read
  that there are times we shouldn't use 'essential oils', at least,
  on the piggies. You may want to double check on this, I know
  you wouldn't want to use something that might aggravate the
  condition.  Probably something with aloe would be soothing.
  Also, some added treats to supplement the diet, to provide
  healing for the hair and skin. Things rich in vitamins.
  I know we can research all these things online, and there
  are some others who know just what would be called for . . .
  but we have always had good results with a shampoo like
  Head n Shoulders (it has the ingredient that also kills any
  skin problems like fungus, etc).
  Others have had similar conditions -  what worked ??
  (if only we could catalog all the wonderful information we
  gather!). The closest we've come was with a couple of the
  Teddies, who would just rub bare spots, with dry, itchy skin.
  It took a combination of the ivermectin, soothing baths and
  applications first of an antibiotic ointment like neosporin,
  then something to soothe dry skin, plus additional vitamins
  and healthy treats, over a period of time, to get rid of it. Plus
  cleaning their pen, in case it was something that was in the
  hay or bedding, etc.
  Sounds like you are on the right track already, it will just take
  time to get it cleared up and keep it that way while the hair
  grows back. But it will!
  Hugs to Charlie!
  Susi & the Okie Piggies