[Gpdd] [Health] Rabbits and Guinea Pigs

Kirsten McKnight kirsten.mcknight at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 11:08:21 EDT 2007

Hello all,

sorry I haven't been posting much - it's been crazy busy and I'm burning the
candle at both ends it seems.I'm in the process of catching up the the
digests so forgive me as I am several behind.

I don't have any direct experience of bordatella - in fact, this is the
first I've heard of it. I have two bunnies (free range) and six guinea pigs.
While they mostly are separate, (piggies in the attic - bunnies in the rest
of the house) I do sometimes let the GP's have extra (supervised)  floor
time downstairs where the bunnies are. They have very little contact even
when sharing the floor downstairs as they tend to sniff at one another and
then ignore each other. None of the guinea pigs have experienced the
symptoms others of you described in the posts. I guess maybe I'm just lucky
(ignorance is bliss?) and have two bunnies that aren't carrying the
virus....

I'm kind of just rambling and thinking out loud, but did want to share that
I have two bunnies as well as the piggies and haven't had any issues - but
again, as I said ignorance is bliss. At least I know what symptoms to look
for - I don't think I want to vaccinate because for the most part the
bunnies and the piggies have no contact....

any thoughts?

And my sympathies to all those who have recently lost a piggy friend or with
sick piggies. I am still hurting from the loss of Widget and I can only
imagine that it is the same for everyone else who has lost a wise and
snuggly piggly (or and kind of piggy)

hugs
Kirsten and the Critter Crew (who are counting the days until the next
virtual event!!)
PS L'il Miz Moppit wants to know if Miss Pooky will share some of her carrot
wine - she's become quite fond of it since the piglympics!