[Gpdd] (Health) Re: Rabies

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 14:27:16 EDT 2007

Joclyn,
  It is technically possible for *any* warm-blooded mammal to contract rabies if it is bitten by an infected vector animal (although the jury is out regarding Opossums, as they are marsupials). There was a case in New York state a while back of a guinea pig that got bitten by a raccoon in the owner's back yard and was infected with rabies. Rabbits can also become infected. That being said, there is not really a vaccine for piggies like there is for cats, dogs, ferrets, and the like. And there are no laws requiring piggies to be vaccinated against rabies (as there are for cats, dogs, ferrets and prairie dogs). Since you will be living in an apartment, I doubt that you'd have your piggies running around in a big yard full of rabid raccoons : )  Like someone else on the digest suggested, I would get a health certificate or something from your vet stating that guinea pigs are not required to be vaccinated against rabies.

  -Stacy and the Squee Squad