[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Rabies Shots

Ann Evans ann at hintlink.com
Tue Jun 26 15:03:52 EDT 2007

There are no approved rabies vaccinations for guinea pigs. However
guinea pigs can get rabies. The CDC has reported at least one case of a
guinea pig getting bit by a rabid raccoon and surviving the bite. The
guinea pig did develop rabies and bit her owner about 6 weeks after it
had been attached by the raccoon. The owner underwent rabies treatment.
Post mortem pathology on the brain of the guinea pig confirmed that it
had rabies.The owner did not develop rabies. Rabies in guinea pigs is
rare since they usually die from being attacked by a rabid animal. Thus
there are very few cases of rabies in cavies and no economic incentive
to develop a rabies vaccine for cavies. Whenever I have to take my
cavies overseas, I get my vet to write a letter that states that there
are no approved rabies vaccinations for cavies. I never have any problem
   getting my cavies into any country with the vets letter.

Ann and the 9 piggys of Piggyville Tampa