[Gpdd] CARE: Pig-sitting when slaves go on holiday

family.duffy at virgin.net family.duffy at virgin.net
Thu Mar 1 16:12:27 EST 2007

I am very fortunate in that I do not have to worry about my piggies when I go to work or when we go on holiday because I have an excellent substitute-slave. Although the lesser slaves in my household love the piggies dearly, they wouldn't have a clue how to look after them, but my father (who's nearly 82 but very sprightly) lives in an annexe joined on to our house and he does everything for them if I am not available. Most people carry photos of their children and grandchildren in their wallets. He carries photos of the guinea pigs!! He is also "the grass man" and goes foraging for fresh grass every day, whatever the weather. He is probably a local landmark - the elderly gentleman seen in various places around the area, cutting grass with scissors! The guineas recognise the sound of his car when he gets back, and he certainly gets an enthusiastic reception that makes the effort worthwhile. If he goes away, I have to do the grass. They love it so much, I couldn't let them go without. I just find it embarrassing when people see me, especially as a man once shouted over to me "Do you want to borrow a lawnmower?"!!Stefanie and the EIGHTEEN piggies (Five new ones came yesterday!)