[Gpdd] [GPDD] Health: Some ideas

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 13:20:58 EST 2007

Glynis -  Just to throw my 2 cents worth in (not sure what the conversion
  rate would be on that!). From suggestions I’ve read that say not to give
  them any fruits or veggies, etc, when they have diarrhea, only plain pellets
  and as much hay (not alfalfa) as they’ll eat, I would guess it would be best
  to at least keep these things to an absolute minimum. But, I understand,
  you do want him to eat something.
  Maybe instead of the pureed watermelon, etc, you could give him some
  flavored Pedialyte? It would give him some flavor to encourage him to
  drink more, but would be much better for him in the way of replacing
  needed electrolytes, lower in sugar, and no worry of possible aggravation
  of whatever is causing the diarrhea or other intestinal upset. (this was
  our vet's recent suggestion)
  I know it’s always hard to withhold treats, just when you want to encourage
  them the most to eat. But, at the same time, if it’s somehow aggravating
  the condition, it’s best to at least cut way back on it. The usual rule of thumb
  is to remove everything until the system settles, then gradually add one item
  at a time and wait to see if there is any adverse reaction to it before adding
  the next food.
  I’m sure, though, you’ve already thought of all this.  But I will always toss out
  ideas, hoping something will ring a bell, somehow some little bit will help.
  We’ve gone through a similar mystery here with URI and lung congestion,
  really tough to get rid of. We’re on a different medication now, all paws and
  fingers crossed.
  Healing wheeks to Duke from
  Susi & the Okie Piggies