[Gpdd] HEALTH: Impaired or missing senses

Willowstorm25 at aol.com Willowstorm25 at aol.com
Wed Mar 7 12:20:58 EST 2007

Hi Kim,

Sounds Hershey is a special little pig.  Consider him a gift.

I have never heard of a piggie being deaf, but my Sianndre was blind all  her
life.

I adopted her when she was 3 months old and even then her sight was  poor.
She was an albino, and apparently blindness is quite common for  them. Anyway,
I wasn't certain she was blind until i noticed that she was afraid  to climb
off my lap.  She'd probe around with her snout and try to feel  for a surface,
but would not go near the end of my lap.  So I  started making quick motions
in her face and she was not responsive.  She  wouldn't respond to light or
anything.

But in any case, this did not detract from her quality of life at  all.  She
was a happy little girl, full of life. When my dear Camryn  became old and
crippled by arthritis, Sianndre groomed her every day and brought  her treats and
stayed by her side until we had to help Cami over the  bridge.  After Cami
died, Sianndre was devastated, but when we adopted  Ryssi, who was a young,
strong 3 lb. male, immediately little Sianndre wanted to  nurse him, whether he
needed it or not!!!

Even with her disability, Sianndre was eager to look after and  love her
cagemates.  She had a big heart, bigger I think than that of  any guinea pig I
have ever had.  I was in awe of her from the day I brought  her into my home to
the day she died suddenly--and at only 22 months,  inexcusably young--in
October 18, 2005.  She was a special gift and I  was blessed to have had her for the
short time I did.

So, don't worry about Hershey.  I am certain he does not feel impaired  or
deprived in any way, and I am sure he is grateful to have an owner and a
cagemate that takes such good care of him!!!

: ) Nicholle and Bwee-Squared
http://www.aol.com.