[Gpdd] HEALTH/CARE: Getting cages off the floor?

Willowstorm25 at aol.com Willowstorm25 at aol.com
Fri Mar 9 09:44:25 EST 2007

Hi Everyone,

I have a question that has been concerning me for years, and I am hoping
everyone will be able to give me some feedback....

For the last four years, I have had a 4' x 3' C&C cage, which my  babies
love.  They have plenty of room to run around and it has so far  stood up to 3
moves and hundreds of cleanings. HOWEVER.....

The cage is too big for me to really elevate it off the floor.  This  was
never  a problem when Craig and I lived in 2nd floor apartments, as  there was
always heat on in the apartment below us, and it radiated through the  floor and
warmed the pigs.  But we moved to a mobile home 6 months  ago, and there is
nothing under the floor but metal and below freezing  air.  I have placed foam
rubber under the choroplast pan in order to  insulate the bottom better, but I
still think Ryssi and Ryvvir are feeling the  effects of the cold down there.
 Ryssi, who was always strong and healthy,  caught pneumonia 3 months ago.
My grandfather made me a makeshift platform  out of milk crates and scrap
plywood, but it was *too small*!

Does anyone out there have any ideas on how I can keep my  C&C cage and
elevate it off the floor in an inexpensive and practical  fashion?  If not, I may
have to buy them a much more  expensive cage on legs.

Please write back if you have any ideas.  I look forward to all your
feedback and advice.

Nicholle and Bwee-Squared
http://www.aol.com.