[Gpdd] [GPDD] Food: Peeling fruit

Muddy Rats muddy.rats at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 22:42:01 EST 2007

Ok, Susi, this is sort of like the great water debate... I tend to be
cautious with my child, and I'm no different with any critters -
especially George.  I can't stand how the majority of produce is waxed
these days.  The darned stuff is so greasy it can easily slide out of
your hands, or so it seems.  Who knows what pesticides everything's been
treated with... and if it's grown in a foreign country (as in South
America), they follow different laws about pesticides.  It doesn't seem
to matter what supermarket I shop at.  I don't care if stuff is organic,
or not - I wash everything, and I peel most of it (I gave up peeling
grapes when Dani was a toddler).  Even the laws about organic food are
so hard to follow, and confusing, that I wouldn't trust that either,
although I prefer organic.  There are some foods where there's more
seepage thru the skin of the fruit to the fruit than others.  Everything
is picked before it's ripe, and gassed on route to the stores so it ripens.

Lori