[Gpdd] MISC: zoo situation

Ruth Leibowitz dr.leibq at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 15 14:17:02 EDT 2007

At the risk of many on this list not liking what I have to say, I would like
to present another way of looking at the zoo-reptile situation.  Let's say
the zoo keeper wrote back and said, "OK, we will no longer use guinea pigs
to feed the reptiles."  Then what animal would take the place of the guinea
pigs?  Would it be chickens, rats, rabbits, etc.?  Is a bird, such as a
chicken, more deserving of being fed to an alligator than a guinea pig ---
why?  Does a chicken not also have a will to live?  Are there people who
don't also raise chickens and other fowl as pets?  How many on this
list-serve are pure vegetarians?  I would bet that most of us are not.  For
those of you who aren't, I wonder if you can explain why the fish, chicken,
or cow that you eat deserved to be killed for your culinary enjoyment more
so than any other species that exists on the earth?  All species have their
own beauty and a tremendous will to remain alive.

I am not defending the practice of feeding guinea pigs to reptiles at a zoo,
and I adore these animals as much as anyone else on this list.  I am only
making the point that to me the situation is not black and white, and that
there are other more complex issues at hand.  As long as zoos exist
carnivores within them will need to be fed other animals.   Perhaps the
deeper issue is should zoos exist at all?  Because if they do, the
carnivores in them will indeed have to be fed one species or another.  In
fact, should animals even be used as pets?  Guinea pigs were domesticated
from South America where their relatives still live in the wild.  Do humans
have the right to domesticate animals at all? My guinea pigs give me
tremendous pleasure and I love them dearly, but part of me is sad that their
ancestors were captured and that they and their relatives are part of a pet
trade that leaves them very vulnerable to members of my own species.  In
effect, as a human I inadvertently benefit from the ensnarement of their
species in a pet trade they never agreed to be a part of.  My piggies are
"lucky" in the sense that they live with me and I respect and take good care
of them.  But many of their cousins raised to be pets are not so lucky.
One could argue that we are not contributing to the pet trade if we don't
buy from pet stores and only adopt piggies from rescues.  But then what
happens to the piggies who languish in cages in pet stores because they
reach adulthood and no one wants them?  This is what happened to my dear
piggy Babu Franklin, who I bought "on sale" from a pet store because he was
already an adult and no-one had bought him.  I wonder what would have
happened to him if someone like me hadn't come along willing to take him off
their hands?  He was all alone in a tank, and was clearly so very sad and
shy.  Yet in giving this deserving piggy a home, I also lent more support to
the pet trade.

I don't have answers to these questions/issues, I just propose them because
I do believe these issues are very complex, so I post them for what they are
worth.