[Gpdd] Response from St Augustine Farm and Zoological Park

Carla Martinez cmartinez36 at houston.rr.com
Fri Mar 16 10:39:46 EDT 2007

Thank you Jaime for bringing this issue to our attention. My conclusion is
that Mr. Kledzik is overlooking the main concerns stated in the petition.
This opens up a can of worms but it is worthwhile to evaluate this
apparently wide-spread practice.

Perhaps as a group we can draw up a list of questions and comments for Mr.
Kledzik, and others, regarding the practice of food-stock cavies. Also is
this something that fits in with PETA's agenda, or other animal welfare
groups?
Here are some questions I have for the zoos:

Why is it that guinea pigs were selected for this purpose, over other
animals?
What is the cost of feeding guinea pig as opposed to other animals?
Why can't they use chicken beef and pork? Or for that matter nutrias, rats
rabbits and pigeons?
What exactly is the manner of euthanizing the guinea pigs?
What are the dietary requirements for alligators?
Is it not more appropriate to re-create the conditions found in the wild,
permitting the alligators or other predators to hunt and kill those species
they would encounter in their natural environment? What about the food
chain?

Fallacies in Mr. Kledzik's statement:
The petition does not protest pets being used as food. It protests the use
of a species of animal, commonly bred as pets in this culture, being raised
for the express purpose of feeding other animals.

The domesticated guinea pig brought to Europe is commonly believed to have
been brought over and presented as a novel pet, rather than as a source of
food. In the history of the cavy it is stated that guinea pigs were first
brought to Europe as gifts for royalty, and were carried about on cushions.

There are places in the world where dogs and monkeys are fed to humans.
Simply because another culture sees an animal as food does not make it
acceptable in our culture.

All zoos, not only the St. Augustine Reptile Farm and Zoo, should
re-evaluate the suitablility of guinea pigs as food sources.

Clearly guinea pigs are under-appreciated in a zoo environment. Maybe these
animal experts need some education! Help me with this. Here's a start:

Facts about the value of guinea pigs as pets:
The only rodent with a variety of vocalizations.
Diurnal
White teeth, not yellow
Defenseless
Lifespan of 5-8 years
Highly responsive to human interaction: trainable, affectionate, bonds with
caretaker.

Carla, Snowball and Apache, with Snickers in our hearts

No viruses found in outgoing message
Scanned by iolo AntiVirus® 1.1.7.0
http://www.iolo.com