[Gpdd] [GPDD] Care: Waterholics

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 15:10:44 EDT 2007

Annette - the answer here is obvious (well,
  according to Fozzie Bear, Meg, and Buzzerre,
  all Water Monitors here. Simply have a second
  water bottle there ready, switch it out with the
  one that is low (Never, Ever, let a bottle get
  empty! this, again according to above named
  pigsperts). But you must do it quickly, with
  much advance warning and kind words, or,
  better yet, place it beside the other one
  first!  That reasoning aside, I have come to
  the conclusion that it is a good idea to have
  extra water bottles on hand anyway. If I have
  to separate pigs and set up a new pen, or a
  bottle starts leaking, etc, I'm prepared.
  Also, to compensate for that 'spillage', you
  can put a shallow dish/tray under it. I also
  like to place a flat brick (a flat rock would do)
  under the water bottle so they have to climb
  up on it with their front feet to get a drink. It
  helps to keep their front toenails trimmed a
  bit. (Of course, you then have to raise the
  bottle a bit) And you can even put a brick
  or rock in their pen for them to sit on, some
  like to do that, even if it's the same one by
  their water bottle.
  Funny, just last night as I was crouched down
  visiting the downstairs piggies, I heard that
  familiar rattling and looked up to see the
  newly filled water bottles bouncing up and
  down as the upstairs piggies worked at
  emptying them!
  While it might be a sign of a health problem,
  and should be checked out, I don't think I'd
  take a water bottle away from a piggie, the
  water is just too important to them. (But
  then, there's Bullett, who has a habit of
  stealing water bottles! ....another story)
  Wheeks to all those water connoiseurs!
  Susi & the Okie Piggies