[Gpdd] [MISC.] Guinea Pigs as Food for Alligators/Reptiles

sherry bevins ssbjune9 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 23:29:36 EDT 2007

I find it very surprising, as well as upsetting, to learn that guinea pigs
are actually being bred for use as reptile food. I live in South Carolina,
where alligators and snakes are plentiful. I have seen the unfortunate
squirrel or two fall prey to large non-poisonous snakes. That is hard enough
to deal with, but it is the natural way of things here in the steamy
southeast. Squirrels are plentiful here, as are the reptiles, and I have had
to make peace with the fact that some do fall prey to snakes....though it
hurts me to even think of it. Alligators will eat birds, mammals, and fish.
They don't seem to be terribly picky when they are hungry, so why especially
feed them guinea pigs? Why breed these animals for that purpose when they
are not, as has been stated, a species that is native to the U.S., and
therefore would not be "on the menu" in the wild? Why not give them fish? It
would seem a more natural choice. Also, if they must have meat, are there no
"leftovers" from the cattle, pork or chicken industries that could be
utilized for this purpose? I'm thinking also of meat that has reached it's
expiration date in the supermarkets, and been pulled from the meat case.
What happens to it? This could be a possiblity. I just can't see the logic
of breeding these gentle, loving, and intelligent creatures for such a
purpose, when there are obviously other options which could, and should, be
considered.
Well, you now have about two-cents-worth from your friends,
Sherry and the Piggie Pals