[Gpdd] [MISC] Pet Store Story

Diana diana_barbour at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 20:58:36 EDT 2007

Here is the latest on the West Hills Pet Center problem:  the Animal Rescue League left me a message while I was at lunch, telling me to call the Department of Agriculture.  Once I did, they directed me to Animal Health, where I told my tale.

  A little bit later, another person from there called me back, and said that he would try to get out there this Friday, but that he would call his friend at the Humane Society and if that person could go sooner, he would call me back.

  I am most concerned with the immediate safety of that little white piggie, in fact I am terrified that Randy will take out his anger at me on the poor little thing.  Also, there was a sow with a brand new litter in another cage, and I am so hoping that the inspector's visit will help those little ones too.

  For those of you who have visited the westhillspet.com site, please note the one page has a picture of just about exactly what I saw...in the foreground of a photograph of the rabbit bin, on a page that refers to piggies, hammies and rats as "starter pets" (which I find totally infuriating and disgusting--is a baby a "starter human"?) you will see a guinea pig in the rabbit bin! You can't see its dear little face, and it's a black and white piggie, but it is clearly a piggie all the same.

  The inspectors I spoke to today did not know about the dangers of rabbit food to piggies, but were very receptive to what I had to say. They did say that they always discourage keeping different species together, though, and of course understood immediately about the dangers to the piggies just from the size difference and the powerful kick that a rabbit can deliver. I will encourage them to look here, as well as Guinea Lynx, for further information when they call me again, as they said they would do when they have decided who will be doing the inspection when.

  So, for those of you who have not contacted them yet, hold your fire...after the inspectors have been out, THAT is when we will write our little hearts out.  In the meantime, please please pray for all of the animals in that store.  And be ready to unleash the full power of the Guinea Pig Daily Digest...you guys are absolutely the best!

  While I'm at it, many, many kudos to Jamie and to all of you on the zoo matter, and regarding this PA pet store issue, many, many thanks to Joan and to Susi,first for being themselves, then for relaying my messages when I was at work and for their brilliantly reasoned and restrained communications to Randy, which hopefully they will be able to forward soon.

  Thanks again, and I will keep you posted (to make a small pun),

  Diana,

  Slave to Lucy Sophie Cavy-Piggie, Lily Penelope Mousington, and Shelby Turtlesworth