[Gpdd] Misc: Ear Infection

Shauna Osteen shauna1313 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 13:04:40 EDT 2007

Hi,
I had a piggie with an ear infection about a year ago. Our vet gave us
bactrim, but we had to put it in his ears. It was thicker than usual and it
was an awful job!! Poor Momo had to have his ears cleaned and drops put in
twice a day for either 2 or 3 weeks, I can't remember now.  I usually ended
up covered in the medicine from him shaking his head like crazy after I put
it in each ear. After that experience my vet lectured my husband and I on
how important it is to keep piggie ears clean. She gives us an ear-wash
solution for cats and dog with no alcohol in it to clean their ears twice a
week. We end up cleaning their ears on nail cutting day about once a month
though. We have had no more ear infections since then with our other two
piggies. They are usually pretty good while I clean their ears especially if
they have a carrot to munch on. I just douse a cotton ball in the solution
and clean the outside and inside of their ears.

As for the question about the American or Bolivian piggies both of mine are
very lovable. Quentin is a big old softy and will let you scratch under his
chin every chance he gets. He also loves to lay with my husband and kiss
your hands and arms. Miss Zeussy will not let you pat her unless she is in
your lap, but when I had to syringe feed her for a few weeks she would just
curl up in my lap and lick my hands forever. Momo was an Abyssinian & long
haired mix. He was a huge cuddle bug and would instantly make himself
comfortable in your lap, it was very dramatic too. He would let our this
huge sigh and just flop over. I really, really miss that :(  I don't
remember him giving kisses, but he would groom my husband's hair every once
and a while.

Well I hope I was a little helpful on the ear infection question. Good luck
to Gussie and slave Jodi. Healing wishes to all the sick piggies out there.

~Shauna, Proud Piggie Parent to Quentin and Miss Zeussy, as well as Momo
waiting at the Bridge