[Gpdd] [HEALTH] teeth problems

Glynis Robson Glynis at garnay.com.au
Sun Mar 25 21:09:38 EDT 2007

Yes Penny i read the post and immediately thought i might be able to
help :o)
Duke has been having his teeth trimmed now for more than 6 months and
we've been syringe feeding him Critical Care all that time.  I find his
trim lasts anywhere between 2-4 weeks, unfortunately this time he had
his teeth trimmed 10 days ago and he's been having problems with eating
for the past 3 days, so he's going back to the vets again.  I trust my
vet, but do understand why anyone would worry about them having an op
for their teeth, in Australia they just wont do it without using drugs,
which is a real pity cause it would be so much better for our little
ones.
Duke is only 650 grams so i know what it's like to have a bony little
body to love and hold it's extremely hard to see them waste away he used
to be a healthy 1100 grams a year ago.   I will perserve as long as Duke
is happy to eat most of the time and take his CC via syringe.
I would've spent at least $1,000.00 already just on his teeth but he's
worth every cent as i adore him and could not let him be in pain and
just wither away.  If you can manage the money, it costs me $100 each
time, go ahead and do it as they are so happy after it's done.  As far
as syringe feeding with CC we give it to Duke to supplement his diet as
he just can't eat enough hard things anymore.
I always take a snack pack to the vets so as soon as Duke comes out of
surgery i offer him chopped up canteloupe and he always munches straight
away, he's such a good little boy.  Another thing i do is have water to
offer him as well and also some CC so that he immediately starts eating
and using his newly trimmed teeth.   The vets love the way he slurps his
CC from the syringe :o)
I do hope this is helpful, it's a stressful time, but if you have the
time to spend hand feeding and chopping up the veggies it's worth it to
see a little face greet you and try their damdest to eat.

Glynis and her skinny boy Duke (in mem Sully)