[Gpdd] HEALTH: Wheezing piggie

Luita Spangler luitad at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 26 10:44:21 EDT 2007

Thanks so much for the advice and support regarding Ernie and his
mysterious wheezing! It's always reassuring to hear that other people
have dealt with similar situations. I suspect that he's experiencing
something very similar to Stacy's Oscar - simply an "elderly piggie"
sort of thing. He has no discharge, and isn't in any drafts. He might
indeed have pollen-related allergies, as Berlin is having an early
Spring, and I imagine that the pollen count in the air changes
regularly, which would explain why he wheezes at some times and not
others. I heard once that people actually tend to get hay fever as they
get older, and perhaps this is the case with guinea pigs, too. The
wheezing seems to bother me a great deal more than Ernie, anyway. Bert,
too, is showing signs of age - He turned 4 on March 23, and has the
beginnings of cataracts in both eyes. Sigh.

I was very sorry to hear about Lil Bear. Don't give up yet - ask the
neighborhood children to keep an eye open for Lil Bear, and check with
the local animal shelter regularly! Ernie was found in a park (in
February!!) and taken to the animal shelter here in Berlin, so there's
always a possibility the same might happen with Lil Bear. And maybe you
can post notes around the neighborhood offering a reward.
We'll be hoping for the best.

Luita
Bert and Ernie