[Gpdd] HEALTH Handling for claw trimming. Fugly

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Mar 26 10:49:15 EDT 2007

You don't need to have Fugly on his back for claw trimming.

When I do the Piggyfriends' manicures I sit down with a piggy on my lap. Sit the piggy up, facing outwards, left hand under the piggy's front legs. Hold the piggy against yourself. Then you can hold the appropriate leg or paw with your left hand and clip with the right. Reverse this if you are left handed of course.

Another way is to stand up with your piggy on a cushion or towel on a table at a suitable height so that you can still hold him against yourself and continue as above.

Towel wrapping is useful for some health checks but is not necessary for nail clipping.

Some piggies are always wriggly at this time ( are you listening Frodo and Nova? ) but with a little practice you will succeed!!

An occasional piggy is quite happy to lay on his back ( my Roscoe is on one these ) but most need to be restrained with the towel before they will agree to this.

Hope this helps!

Penny and the Piggyfriends.

Living vicariously through Guinea Pigs.