[Gpdd] [CARE] Piggy Toe Nails

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 26 12:15:31 EDT 2007

Dear Kelly

Vedra told me that with a guinea pigs nails, on the underside of them --
where they look almost hollow -- you should be able to see a second groove
inside the nail, which is a little way up from the tip the nail.  If you cut
to just below the point of the second groove (the quick) but no higher, you
should be fine.

One of my guinea pigs is black and so are his paws and nails, so I have
exactly the same problem, but using that inner groove to their nails is my
guide.

Before cutting their nails, make sure you have some potassium permanganate
or other styptic on hand, so that if the quick is accidentally cut, the end
can be cauterized with this.

But if you are in any doubt, I would suggest you could take them to the vets
and get them to show you what point you should be looking for on Pancake's
paw.  By the way, what a lovely name for a guinea pig!

Good luck  Carole