[Gpdd] [CARE] Don't give up on Lil Bear!

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Tue Mar 27 04:03:12 EDT 2007

My first ever guinea pig, Bafreur, was free range in our meadow. I am
horrifed to think of it now, but I was very naive and the rabbit and chickens  were
free range so I thought it only fair the guinea pig should be too! He never
got lost, always hung around where he was fed morning and night.

Then one evening, years later, Argentee escaped from her outdoor run.  I
spent hours crawling through the hedge with a torch, then spenty a sleepless
night imagining her eaten by an owl, poisoning herself with buttercups and
foxgloves, devoured by a fox or just wandering aimlessly, lost, alone and
terrified. First thing next morning, I ate breakfast beside the run and saw one  of the
cats stalking something in the hedge. There she was, my beautiful  Argentee,
who was easily lured into a box with food in it, and was safely  returned to
the run.

The young son of a friend once took a guinea pig out of its run  and put her
on the lawn "to see what would happen" (the boy does have  learning
difficulties). Needless to say, she disappeared, and was missing  about 3 days, in spite
of frantic searches. After 3 days, she reappeared and was  reunited with her
2 sisters. Sadly, in this instance, she actually passed away  several days
later - I suspect she maybe ate something poisonous. But my  point is, she didn't
wander far - she came back.

All these incidents happened in the countryside where there were few  manmade
dangers, no traffic or anything like that, and no neighbours with dogs  or
whatever - but the countryside is full of owls and buzzards and foxes and  cats
.... . But these 3 piggies didn't wander far from home and were  re-captured.
So there is hope yet for Lil Bear - please don't give up on her.  Keep
looking, leave that door open and tempting treats available.

We will be praying for Lil Bear's safe return.

Debbie and the 13 Dolly Mixtures