[Gpdd] health; Fugly Handling

bubblecuddle at aol.co.uk bubblecuddle at aol.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 08:12:23 EDT 2007

Hi all thanks for all the advice about nail cutting you have sent. Some slaves said they had never heard of turning a piggie on its back for nail cutting. I actually found this advise in "The Proper Care of Guinea Pigs" by Peter Gurney he recommends using this method for scatty pigs but didnt explain how or why so I was curious as to whether you guys knew the how and why, instead I received lots of other good suggestions. There is a great picture in Peter Gurneys book showing one of his piggies (think it may be free range fred) lying on its back cute little feet in the air.

The other reason I wanted to know if you could teach piggies to lie on the back is that before my boy Bubble went to the bridge he developed anal impaction, the best way I found for emptying him each day was to lie him on his back supported between my left side and arm and empty him with the right hand an experience he hated. I thought this was because I hadnt held him on his back when he was young to get used to it so what with Fugly being a boar I thought if I taught him early enough he wouldnt mind this kind of handling if he developed the same problem. Fugly has proved this theory wrong.

Thanks again for the advise

M + Fugly