[Gpdd] Misc:GP food

joan fagalde momcat1000 at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 12:40:07 EDT 2007

Hi all.  I just wanted to try and keep the discussion on Sweet Meadow Farms as apples to apples.  I'm sure the folks at Sweet Meadows are really great people personally and probably put out a quality product.  I don't know as I've never tried their stuff or done any kind of analysis on it.  I understand they've been around for a long time. That said, when you're comparing Oxbow, KMs Hayloft, Sweet Meadow or anyone else, with a quality product of course, remember to take everything into account, not just the product price.

  For example, FedEx is almost never my shipper of choice as they are VERY expensive for me since I live on the West Coast.  Sweet Meadow and Oxbow are on the East Coast and the rates to me are prohibitive.  UPS from anywhere to me is bad enough but at least a little more reasonable.

  The Bug gets KM as in my opinion they are the best.  Her pellet price is $13 for 25 lbs as opposed to Sweet Meadow at $17.99 for the same thing.  KM also ships split boxes of hay meaning more than one type of hay in the same box.  I don't know of anyone else who does that.

  The Lady Bug is an only with no competition and spoiled rotten  She would not touch timothy anything, nada so I was using the Oxbow Orchard until I found, in two separate bags, pieces of wood.  Not brown grass but actual wood.  It is also quite dusty and since I have terrible alergies, really bothered me.  I tried the Oxbow timothy pellets but she just picked at them not liking them much.  Finding the wood sent me straight to KMs Hayloft as I already knew they were quality.  I was sent a sample of the timothy hay and, surprise, the Bug has never looked back.  She also likes the timothy pellets.

  The point of all this is don't just look at the list price of something  Take quality and shipping into account as well.  Keep apples with apples, don't throw an orange into the mix.

  Joan/The Lady Bug