[Gpdd] MISC: Hay & Fleece Bedding

Shauna Osteen shauna1313 at gmail.com
Sat May 5 12:30:19 EDT 2007

Hello Everyone,
I guess the good part of all this pellet and hay talk is that there are now
so many options for good quality timothy pellets. I have to buy Oxbow for
Quentin and KayDee Timothy Complete for Miss Zeussy. She refuses to eat
Oxbow pellets. If I mix them in with KayDee she will leave them in the
bottom of her bowl and cry out for her pellets! When I first started with
guinea pigs about 3 and a half years ago I never found one bag of timothy
based pellets here in Maine, but now you can find them at two stores.

As for the hay, I have also found that Oxbow is very dusty. We have an air
purifier next to the cage to help Quentin's allergies and Oxbow hay turns
the filter grey in less than 2 weeks! When we are done with the two boxed we
have now I am going to switch to KM. My husband has allergies as well so him
and Quentin sneeze up a storm when I put new hay in the cage. That is also
great that they will split a box. Right now I buy 2- 9 pound boxes, one
timothy and one oat grass. I order from www.petfooddirect.com because the
Oxbow company charges just as much for the shipping as they do for the
product.

As for Molly's situation, I have the same problem with Quentin. He was very
neat when he was a baby, but after we had him for about 3 weeks he started
using the entire cage as a bathroom. He is famous for turning his cuddle
cups into potty cups as well. He is a very lazy boy and won't get out of his
cuddle cup to go to the bathroom. We have 6 in rotation for him since we
only do laundry once a week! Miss Zeussy on the other hand can use the same
cuddle cup for weeks and it stays clean and dry. I would love to track down
a similar product to VetBed here in the States. That would be perfect! I use
fleece, shredded paper and newspaper for bedding, but the fleece stays wet
which I don't like. I change it frequently, but it would be great if it
didn't stay wet after they go to the bathroom. Miss Zeussy has had one UTI
and it was awful. I felt and still feel so guilty about it!

Well have a good wheekend everyone. It is finally spring here in the
Northeast after getting an April snow storm and Nor'easter! I actually saw
flowers the other day!! Healing wishes to all the sick piggies out there.

~Shauna, Proud Piggie Parent to Quentin and Miss Zeussy, as well as Momo
waiting at the Bridge